Skip to main content

Hello there....

What a weird name for a blog, right?! Years ago, when I first started using Facebook, I took a quiz that generated "What your blog name should be." I couldn't resist this of course, and so I clicked away. The result.... “Olive Noodles.” It certainly gave me a chuckle! I wrote it down in a journal and kept it in the back of my mind for...someday.



Looks like "someday" has arrived.  My 2018 Word of the Year is GROWTH. That has certainly been the theme, especially in the past three months. In June, I married the love of my life. We took a few days off to go hiking and camping and then settled into as newlyweds. The transition has been very easy. We were great friends long before we were romantic partners. We've traveled thousands of miles together and have had conversations about everything under the sun. We laid out a clear, solid foundation and as a result, married life is awesome! I'm grateful for our communication skills, dedication to each other and our collective stubborn traits! They're quite beneficial, once we lined them out. Summer is always busy and while we haven't had a lot of downtime, we've certainly enjoyed activities and obligations. These take on an entirely different energy (and appreciation) when you are with your person.

I've taken some time to reflect, stretch and really look around. Writing has been and continues to be a wonderful creative outlet for me. I also seen that each time I've made some major leaps in my personal life, a new blog comes into being to honor those changes. It's kind of a fun thing I do, and until recently, I didn't realize I did that.

I've been mulling over blog themes, business branding, and the direction I'm taking, both personally and professionally. There are a lot of aspects to balance. The challenge is that I have TONS of content, ideas and information to share, but I haven't made creating a foundation to launch these a priority. {Did you notice I didn't stay that I don't have... or I need or that I am lacking anything?! mmmm hummmm..... words have meaning and they carry the power to create our reality.} Everything is choice and it all comes down to evaluating those choices, looking and working with them and then and selecting ones that will be focused on in any given day.

I love to write and journal. It helps me identify where I am, clarify what is going on, helps make sense of my reality, allows me to tap into possibilities, get out of limited thinking and beliefs, envision and align with what feels right for me. Writing has always been one of my most precious and powerful tools. I mostly write for myself. I don't often share my words and ideas with others. I have been feeling the invitation to share and contribute, which is the "why" for creating this blog.

David Allen of Getting Things Done shares, "To know and to be clear about the purpose of any activity are prime directives for clarity, creative development and cooperation." Defining our WHY helps to keep us on track, keep us inspired, helps us stay focused, expands our ideas, encourages us to think creativity and prioritize our time, talents, resources and energies. "Just taking two minutes and writing out your primary reason for doing something invariably creates and increased sharpness of vision, much life bringing a telescope into focus," Allen explains.

Why have I created this blog? What is the purpose of this project?

1. First and foremost, this is a creative outlet for me! I haven't take the time to sit down and write out all my ideas. I haven't taken the time to write, edit and create PDFs or on-line courses (though this is on the project list!) I want to be able to share "on the go" and when the inspiration and ideas come through. That may be a random picture of something that inspired me or it may be mini-course that I can offer or even insightful words, ideas and practices. I'm leaving the content open.

2. I truly enjoy inspiring others. I am an avid reader and learner. What I learn is integrated and woven into my daily life, beliefs and practices. If I test something out and it works, I am happy to share those experiences with others. I have a wide array of interests planners/organizers, journaling, traveling, vintage books and typewriters, bags/totes, shoes, tattoos, simply DIY projects. I also have an extensive educational background, MA in Education, Professional Feng Shui Certification, Licensed Spiritual Health Coach, Holistic Health Practitioner. I genuinely love to share what I have learned, what I experienced, and what I've put to the test!

3. The content is in one location. I've been really refining how I use a planner and then studying the science behind the action of implementing action steps. I am seeing that I'm not as disorganized as what I thought I was. I simply needed a system that worked specifically for me and a predictable, easy-to-access location to store content. As Allen shares, "You need no new skills to increase your productivity, jut a new set of behaviors about when and where to apply them."

4. Ultimately I would love to package this content and the continual flow of ideas into a course or book. I know, I know, a lot of people say they want to write a book. I find myself saying it often. I haven't made it a priority because I haven't taken the time to dedicate myself to a routine that would produce those results. That is something I am looking at more closely. Words and ideas come relatively easy for me so I can see it being a possibility. Right now, I am choosing to devote time to exploration and content collecting (it's easy and fun and requires very little effort.) At some point, if it is right for me to do so, I will make it a priority to organize ideas and themes and package those into a different form. If that priority becomes something else, I'm cool with that too!

What I do choose to share must have a user-friendly, easy access platform.  Right now, the more simple that is, the more I will potentially use it. Currently, I have the EASIEST access to are Blogger and Instagram. Both are within reach on my phone/computer and neither involves large amounts of upfront time and monetary investments. I would LOVE to have a beautifully curated website and the funds to invest in promoting and building a business around my skills, talents and knowledge. What I have right now is the energy and inspiration to share so that is what I am focusing on. If it is simple + fun, I'll likely be motivated to share. If it becomes difficult, frustrating and cumbersome, I'll avoid it. I'm self-aware enough to know what works and what doesn't.

I have continued to downsize and evaluate what items are coming in and out of my space. Joe and I love to travel, hike and explore, and while the theme of my other blog Keep it Light Enough 2 Travel
http://keepitlightenough2travel.blogspot.com/ is still in alignment with my core passions, I'm in a very different place in my life now. I am keeping the blog active for reference. {I have a slew of unpublished posts that I feel have valuable content} but I feel that what is coming through at this time, is asking for a new format.

I've created something simple, and hopefully enjoyable to read! (Click on the title of the post to read all the words that go with it.) I am dedicating this as space where I can freely write about themes/topics as they arise. I'll be sharing about them here and on instagram. Please, check back for updates :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January is my mulligan

Hey! Surprise! I've taken a writing hiatus from this blog and most all social media, save Instagram. I've recently been drilling down deeper and deeper to do some serious re-evaluating of my life, focus, and the direction I'm heading in. Writing is one of my passions. It's also highly therapeutic. I've recently returned to the practice of "morning pages" with a digital spin. Some of you may be familiar with Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way practice of morning pages. I enjoyed the exercises but found it hard to be consistent. I've recently found this great website  750 words . Using the digital version has been helpful in being consistent with my writing practice. When I wrote in a notebook, I easily exceeded three pages, but I didn't know how many words I actually typed. The site is free, counts words, offers challenges and tracks the writing by the day. I'm not a big stats person but I am enjoying the data on this. As I crank o

Reframing

I do not love to mow the lawn. I enjoy the look of a freshly mowed space, but it is not an activity that I look forward to. Like laundry, dishes and cleaning it is a necessary chore. No one makes me mow the lawn and I could certainly choose to forgo the activity, but every time I'd look at the overgrowth, I would be frustrated. I can only put up with a dirty, cluttered floor or space for so long. Then I am ready to go to work. I used to fight against tasks I didn't enjoy. I've used procrastination as a tactic so avoid doing what needed to be done. I've also bitched, bawled, complained and been really grumpy because I felt I "had" to                                 {fill in the blank}. In the past I often experienced feeling burdened, put-upon, angry, frustrated and resentful {Why meeeeeeee?} Of course NONE of these helped me get the job done any faster, nor did feeling sorry for myself make the process more enjoyable. I'm not one to fake anyth

Quirky Talents, I think we all have 'em

Home for me has become wherever my backpack lands. Five years ago I started using travel as a way to heal, focus and begin a new path. Travel allowed me to get out of my head and into nature, where I am always able to think more clearly. I've always loved being on the go, seeing and experiencing new and favorite locations. One of the interesting traits, (and I'll even go so far as to call it a talent,) is that I have a propensity to create organization, flow and comfort in whatever spaces I occupy. Like hair color, and eye color, I was born with this, I didn't ask for it. {Just for the record, if I could ask for a talent I would have picked something totally different!) In fact, this talent is so very........well, easy, that I had completely dismissed it. It was just something that I did and it required very little effort or work on my part. I had to go way back in my experiences and thinking to remember when I first became aware of the tendency to put things in order.