Skip to main content

September 2018 Highlights

This past summer I set the intention to spend less time on social media. There was a lot happening in my world and I didn't want it to go by with my head in front of a screen.  While there is nothing wrong with being online, and I do enjoy the instant connection, I found that I was wasting a lot of time on my phone/computer. We all 24 hours in a day. At least eight of mine are dedicated to sleep. That means I've got 16 hours to enjoy the people I love, take care of responsibilities, tackle to-do's, make things happen, exercise, create and/or travel. To hit targets, I had to look at how I was spending my time, personally and professionally. I didn't think I was that addicted to my phone. I did notice that I had a habit of reaching for it first thing and the am scroll began. I observed my patterns, asked how I wanted to feel? Strong. Healthy. Focused. Energized. Excited. Grabbing my phone upon awakening didn't make the list. I won't say that it was an easy transition, it was a hard habit to break. I replaced the endorphins with a good stretch, walking and then a tasty cup of coffee. Usually in peace and silence.

I proceeded to keep my ringer turned off I also silenced alerts. I also deleted apps that were longer used and organized the ones that made the cut. A 2017 New York Post article stated that we pick up our phones at least 80 times a day "Americans check their phones on average once every 12 minutes." New York PostAnother suggestion I picked up was using the phone screen as an affirmation or a reminder of our targets. It's a subtle way to program out thoughts.

As part of this observation, I started to spend more planning time on paper. I use a hybrid form of planning, incorporating Google Calendar for events and reminders that have a set date. My inbox, to-do's, notes, lists and reminders are housed in an analogue planner. One of the other targets I've had is to be more consistent with my memory keeping. Printing off pictures, journaling/scrapbooking takes time so I use Instagram for on the go visual journaling. It meets my requirements of fast + easy.

My days are pretty packed and I strive to get the most out of each and every one. Writing is a passion of mine and sharing with words is a way I can connect with others. I don't always take the time to write, although I really enjoy it when I do. I've been working through so many layers and phases of myself, professionally and personally that I haven't yet landed on a blog theme (and it likely isn't that important, it's one of the goals that only exist in my head!) I honestly don't even know how many people read what I write. That doesn't matter either because I would still write even if no one ever saw this blog! In the event that others enjoy what I share, that's a wonderful bonus. This form of expression is my artistic outlet and who knows, maybe it will be something that my children and grandchildren will appreciate?!

I wanted to try something new, which will also help me meet the target of more consistent memory keeping. I thought it would be fun to create a blog post on the monthly highlights. September has been a great month, with a lot of wonderful experiences. Though I am sad to see summer slip away, I've enjoyed the transition into fall. Here are a few of the highlights:

*Hiked Black Elk Peak.
*Visited Jewel Cave (twice!)
*Visited Badlands and got to see buffalo and sheep
*Rode the 1880 Train
*Got to spend a few days at the Frauen Ranch
*Pryce got her 2nd Master Angler!
*Parker got a concussion. (He's cleared and ready to play football again.)
*Pryce is playing junior high volleyball and has REALLY improved her serves.
*Pake is doing awesome at Northeast CC. He's stays busy with his job and homework. He took an extra class so his schedule is more demanding that it was.
*Pake has an MRI scheduled in October. He has a tumor on his hand that needs removed. As always, he's super positive. We are all grateful that this one is not in a critical location.
*Joe received his technician class operator's license for amateur (ham) radio, from the FCC. He applied for and received his Grandfather's callsign, WAODXY.
*S'mores are a "swoot" way to end a Saturday!



View from the top--well worth the hike!
Black Elk Peak has an elevation of 7,244 feet and is the highest summit east of the Rocky Mountains in the US.


1880 Train, Hills City, SD
Preparing to take the Historic Lantern Tour
Jewel Cave Lantern Tour

Lone Buffalo
Badlands


At the Ranch


He hits where he's aiming!
Sighting in the gun

Her 2nd Master Angler! Team effort with big brother, Pake

They aren't really fighting, they are testing core strength.

When the campfire isn't possible, we use the stove for S'mores!
Pake checking in for MRI. The tumors in head and neck are stable, which is great news. He does have one on his right hand. He'll be saying goodbye to that one soon. 
Go Wolves!

Parker is #15


Her serves are improving!

Pake selected #15  for his football number, because my birthday is July 15th. He was diagnosed with NFP2 his 10th grade year and he was no longer able to be in sports. Parker picked up #15 to honor his brother and "play for him." It doesn't show it in this picture, but Pryce is wearing #15 as well.  

Visting Pake at Northeast. (We were impressed with how neat and tidy his dorm room is!)

Oldest and youngest!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January is my mulligan

Hey! Surprise! I've taken a writing hiatus from this blog and most all social media, save Instagram. I've recently been drilling down deeper and deeper to do some serious re-evaluating of my life, focus, and the direction I'm heading in. Writing is one of my passions. It's also highly therapeutic. I've recently returned to the practice of "morning pages" with a digital spin. Some of you may be familiar with Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way practice of morning pages. I enjoyed the exercises but found it hard to be consistent. I've recently found this great website  750 words . Using the digital version has been helpful in being consistent with my writing practice. When I wrote in a notebook, I easily exceeded three pages, but I didn't know how many words I actually typed. The site is free, counts words, offers challenges and tracks the writing by the day. I'm not a big stats person but I am enjoying the data on this. As I crank o

Reframing

I do not love to mow the lawn. I enjoy the look of a freshly mowed space, but it is not an activity that I look forward to. Like laundry, dishes and cleaning it is a necessary chore. No one makes me mow the lawn and I could certainly choose to forgo the activity, but every time I'd look at the overgrowth, I would be frustrated. I can only put up with a dirty, cluttered floor or space for so long. Then I am ready to go to work. I used to fight against tasks I didn't enjoy. I've used procrastination as a tactic so avoid doing what needed to be done. I've also bitched, bawled, complained and been really grumpy because I felt I "had" to                                 {fill in the blank}. In the past I often experienced feeling burdened, put-upon, angry, frustrated and resentful {Why meeeeeeee?} Of course NONE of these helped me get the job done any faster, nor did feeling sorry for myself make the process more enjoyable. I'm not one to fake anyth

Quirky Talents, I think we all have 'em

Home for me has become wherever my backpack lands. Five years ago I started using travel as a way to heal, focus and begin a new path. Travel allowed me to get out of my head and into nature, where I am always able to think more clearly. I've always loved being on the go, seeing and experiencing new and favorite locations. One of the interesting traits, (and I'll even go so far as to call it a talent,) is that I have a propensity to create organization, flow and comfort in whatever spaces I occupy. Like hair color, and eye color, I was born with this, I didn't ask for it. {Just for the record, if I could ask for a talent I would have picked something totally different!) In fact, this talent is so very........well, easy, that I had completely dismissed it. It was just something that I did and it required very little effort or work on my part. I had to go way back in my experiences and thinking to remember when I first became aware of the tendency to put things in order.