Skip to main content

That's a wrap~October



I love the sights and sensations of October. I tend to resist fall, only because I love summer so much. It snowed on October 14th, so that helped usher the transition. We didn't travel as much this month, although we did get to the ranch a few times. 

Fishing was the theme this month. Joe caught (and released) his Master Angler Bass. He also surprised me with a fishing license. I typically read a book when the family is fishing, but he thought I should join in the fun. We took advantage of the gorgeous weather on Saturday and Sunday and caught some trout. 

Pryce's team won their volleyball tournament and she played in the fall concert. 

Parker completed his football season and is now focused on One Act play competition and weight lifting. 

Pake had his MRI and will have surgery to remove the tumor on his right hand. He's had many, but according to the doctor, this one shouldn't be as complicated. 

This month was very emotionally challenging for me. I have come far enough on my journey to know that when things come up, the best way to navigate is to meet issues head on and continue taking forward steps. There are a lot of areas that I can do better in, primarily in strengthening my mental and emotional health practices and self-care, something I am not great at. I'm finding that good sleep is essential. I have an early bedtime target, but I don't always meet it successfully. In turn, I struggle to get up at 5. I can do it, but it's hard! 

My nutrition path has improved. For the most part, I've significantly decreased sugar and carb intake. It's helped increase energy levels and focus. I've got a solid routine during the week. On weekends, I'm a bit more lax, but come Monday, I'm right back on the plan. I don't know that my appearance is changing as a result but I do feel better and my sleep quality is slowly improving. I have plenty of stress to work through, so there's that. 

This moth I'll be preparing for the holiday season. Since Pake will have surgery over Thanksgiving break, my target is to complete my shopping list by mid November. December is usually an insanely busy month so I'm activating my planning abilities and working ahead here. Christmas is not my favorite holiday and I've very much scaled down and changed the way I celebrate (it's SUPER low key). The focus is on family/loved ones and the blessing of being together. I do buy gifts, but really I gift year 'round so presents aren't the BIG DEAL. 

Here's to settling in to a new month, with new experiences. Onward. 




Niobrara is one of my favorite locations to visit in the fall

Checking on Dad's cows

Pryce in her "happy place" (wherever she can fish!)

One of many Bass that she caught and released

Joe got a Master Angler and let him go back to his happy place
Junior High Girls Volleyball team, they won their tournament

Thern came to watch Parker's football games

First snow of the season

Prepin poles, with coffee


We love visiting Ga and Papa

Pake's Birthday, he got a new pole and a license

MRI on his hand. The "bump" is going bye bye soon
Blue brought back the Maui roll for October only! YUMMM
Since we were so close, we had to indulge in a little Ted N Wally's


Pryce after the fall concert




Biggest Nutcracker in Nebraska
Impromptu Husker Game

Joe surprise me with a fishing license



First foosh on the new license. He was wiggly!
Joe, aka the trout slayer
Cooking up supper



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reframing

I do not love to mow the lawn. I enjoy the look of a freshly mowed space, but it is not an activity that I look forward to. Like laundry, dishes and cleaning it is a necessary chore. No one makes me mow the lawn and I could certainly choose to forgo the activity, but every time I'd look at the overgrowth, I would be frustrated. I can only put up with a dirty, cluttered floor or space for so long. Then I am ready to go to work. I used to fight against tasks I didn't enjoy. I've used procrastination as a tactic so avoid doing what needed to be done. I've also bitched, bawled, complained and been really grumpy because I felt I "had" to                                 {fill in the blank}. In the past I often experienced feeling burdened, put-upon, angry, frustrated and resentful {Why meeeeeeee?} Of course NONE of these helped me get the job done any faster, nor did feeling sorry for myself make the process more enjoyable. I'm not one to fake anyth

Quirky Talents, I think we all have 'em

Home for me has become wherever my backpack lands. Five years ago I started using travel as a way to heal, focus and begin a new path. Travel allowed me to get out of my head and into nature, where I am always able to think more clearly. I've always loved being on the go, seeing and experiencing new and favorite locations. One of the interesting traits, (and I'll even go so far as to call it a talent,) is that I have a propensity to create organization, flow and comfort in whatever spaces I occupy. Like hair color, and eye color, I was born with this, I didn't ask for it. {Just for the record, if I could ask for a talent I would have picked something totally different!) In fact, this talent is so very........well, easy, that I had completely dismissed it. It was just something that I did and it required very little effort or work on my part. I had to go way back in my experiences and thinking to remember when I first became aware of the tendency to put things in order.

For the Love of Bags

I have a bit of an addiction. Or at least that is what I have called it. It isn't "clinically" an addiction and it typically doesn't cause much of an issue, unless we calculate the amount of dollars that have been needlessly spent. It's not drugs, drinks or food. It's not necessarily even unhealthy (some addictions are not so bad... if I could just be addicted to healthy food.....) Anyway, this addiction is one that I've run up against before and continually butted heads with in my quest to downsize. I've proven that I can live with far fewer items that what is in my space. In fact, I'll be doing another closet purge this fall because the summer has shown that I wear less than 20 different pieces of clothing continually. I do a detox/clutter release about every three months. There are two realms where I get pretty hung up on the purging. Again, if I HAD to evaluate what to keep and what to let go of, say in the event that our ideal camper unit co