Skip to main content

Hello December!

My brain is barely able to register that we are down to a few weeks left in 2018. The year has really flown by. It's been a WONDERFUL year. I've been blessed with such amazing experiences and am happy to be closing out the year on a high note.

Our November seemed like it happened in the blink of an eye: Parker received honorable mention in the One-Act play and started trapping. Pryce started basketball and played in her first junior high game. Pake had hand surgery to remove two tumors.

We enjoyed a FUN Thanksgiving with our sweet family! It is always a lot of fun to spend time in the "north country." Thanksgiving Day was absolutely gorgeous this year. We drove down to the river, listened to the water and enjoyed the sunshine. Later, we dined on delicious ham, filled our bellies to the brim and then took a glorious (and needed nap!) We got to visit with my Aunt Patty, Uncle Neri and sweet cousins! It was such a fun, relaxing weekend, exactly the kind I always hope to have.

Though the month is just starting, there's already a ton of to-do's and events lining up. Every day has something going on so knowing this means that a lot of my project work either is done in small steps or tabled until a more supportive time.

I've been working and reworking my intentions and long-range targets. 2018's word of the year was GROWTH. I feel that I've integrated those lessons and I can feel that I have grown, both personally and professionally. I started the year out as a single mom, by March I was engaged and in June I got married! It's been a fantastic experience of growth, learning and communication. {To be clear, our communication skills were already solid before we got married. Living distantly has required us to continue to develop them!} There is a level of growth when the brain goes from an individual perspective to a partnership mentality. That's a bit different than how I've operated before, and one that has required me to look at my own habits/patterns and tendencies. Thankfully, I have a partner who is very tuned-in, patient and keeps me laughing.

Growth is seldom a "walk in the park." To really grow, we have to be willing to endure some discomfort and not knowing just how things are going to work out. Opening more deeply into my personal truth, allowing myself to be vulnerable, and admitting aloud that I really don't know the answer, have been growth steps for me. I've embraced and welcomed imperfection, not waiting for things to be "just right," rather I'm choosing to enjoy what and who is here, right now. I won't say I am content with how everything is in my life. I can say I am grateful for what I've been given this year.

I'm leaning into my 2019 Word of the Year. I have a pretty clear idea of what it will be and I'll be writing about it soon. I'm reflecting on what's come through, what I've learned and integrated and the direction I'll set my inner compass on next. This is a great article on selecting a Guiding Word. To expand ideas for word selections, check out this site One Word.

Have you picked a word of the year? (Or has a guiding word picked you?!)
If so, feel free to share in the comment section below.

Here are some of our November Highlights:

walking down to the river

Pryce loves having Aunt Patty braid her hair

unwraping the stitches

The "corn sarcophagus"

A new "lid" for working cattle

El hombres

Adorable Miss Presley

Wylie, demonstrating the art of eating carrots

"Twinning!"

Drippy, grew clouds on my walk
Pryce playing in her 1st junior high basketball game


Parker, as "Tim" in "Gossip"





Adding filters to brighten up crappy snow scene




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reframing

I do not love to mow the lawn. I enjoy the look of a freshly mowed space, but it is not an activity that I look forward to. Like laundry, dishes and cleaning it is a necessary chore. No one makes me mow the lawn and I could certainly choose to forgo the activity, but every time I'd look at the overgrowth, I would be frustrated. I can only put up with a dirty, cluttered floor or space for so long. Then I am ready to go to work. I used to fight against tasks I didn't enjoy. I've used procrastination as a tactic so avoid doing what needed to be done. I've also bitched, bawled, complained and been really grumpy because I felt I "had" to                                 {fill in the blank}. In the past I often experienced feeling burdened, put-upon, angry, frustrated and resentful {Why meeeeeeee?} Of course NONE of these helped me get the job done any faster, nor did feeling sorry for myself make the process more enjoyable. I'm not one to fake anyth

Quirky Talents, I think we all have 'em

Home for me has become wherever my backpack lands. Five years ago I started using travel as a way to heal, focus and begin a new path. Travel allowed me to get out of my head and into nature, where I am always able to think more clearly. I've always loved being on the go, seeing and experiencing new and favorite locations. One of the interesting traits, (and I'll even go so far as to call it a talent,) is that I have a propensity to create organization, flow and comfort in whatever spaces I occupy. Like hair color, and eye color, I was born with this, I didn't ask for it. {Just for the record, if I could ask for a talent I would have picked something totally different!) In fact, this talent is so very........well, easy, that I had completely dismissed it. It was just something that I did and it required very little effort or work on my part. I had to go way back in my experiences and thinking to remember when I first became aware of the tendency to put things in order.

January is my mulligan

Hey! Surprise! I've taken a writing hiatus from this blog and most all social media, save Instagram. I've recently been drilling down deeper and deeper to do some serious re-evaluating of my life, focus, and the direction I'm heading in. Writing is one of my passions. It's also highly therapeutic. I've recently returned to the practice of "morning pages" with a digital spin. Some of you may be familiar with Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way practice of morning pages. I enjoyed the exercises but found it hard to be consistent. I've recently found this great website  750 words . Using the digital version has been helpful in being consistent with my writing practice. When I wrote in a notebook, I easily exceeded three pages, but I didn't know how many words I actually typed. The site is free, counts words, offers challenges and tracks the writing by the day. I'm not a big stats person but I am enjoying the data on this. As I crank o