Skip to main content

January is my mulligan


Hey! Surprise! I've taken a writing hiatus from this blog and most all social media, save Instagram. I've recently been drilling down deeper and deeper to do some serious re-evaluating of my life, focus, and the direction I'm heading in. Writing is one of my passions. It's also highly therapeutic. I've recently returned to the practice of "morning pages" with a digital spin.

Some of you may be familiar with Julia Cameron's, The Artist's Way practice of morning pages. I enjoyed the exercises but found it hard to be consistent. I've recently found this great website 750 words. Using the digital version has been helpful in being consistent with my writing practice. When I wrote in a notebook, I easily exceeded three pages, but I didn't know how many words I actually typed. The site is free, counts words, offers challenges and tracks the writing by the day. I'm not a big stats person but I am enjoying the data on this.

As I crank out my 750 words a day, I had some interesting observations: 1. I truly love to write 2. Writing comes very easily to me 3. I write better with daily practice 4. Perhaps what I write about can be of use to others? This brain dump practice, though seemingly chaotic and messy, has actually helped me clarify my focus. It is also what has prompted me to return to blogging.

When I wrote in a notebook, I easily exceeded three pages, but I didn't know how many words I actually typed. The site is free, counts words, offers challenges and tracks the writing by the day. I'm not a big stats person but I am enjoying the data on this.

I'll be sharing more regularly here. It is user friendly, easy to manage and add content and well, let's be honest, it's FREE. I haven't made creating a formal website a priority, not sure if I will. I've read time and time again that we write not just for others, but we write for ourselves. While I would be thrilled if the words I share somehow resonated with others and helped them along their pathway, I honestly feel the need to write for myself, perhaps as a reminder for where I am at this point and time in my life. I feel like I've come a long ways since I started blogging. I can go back to the energy, thoughts, as well fear and self doubt. All of it.

It is my intention, as I begin this next chapter, that I can record the lessons, ideas, inspiration and findings that have come through. It was good to take some time off, to step away and steep in the new chapter I started in 2018. I have a collection of ideas and insights and quite frankly, I need an outlet. I'm writing primarily for myself, in the spirit of the great Stoic philosopher, Marcus Aurelius. If my words resonate and inspire others, wonderful. If not, the intention is that they will serve as a reminder for where I was at this point and time.

January is my month to recalibrate. Although it is the first month of the calendar year, this is a good time to evaluate and asses intentions, targets and directions. I thoroughly enjoy and fully participate the holiday season, so the time needed to sit with where I've been, where I am and where I want to go isn't as accessible. I've naturally dedicated January as the time for working through my goals, accomplishments and targets. I actually do this as an on-going process through continual, careful and honest observation.

One of the practices I successfully incorporated is selecting and following a guiding word. Interestingly, the last post I wrote was about selecting a guiding year for 2019! ha!  It's good to look back and notice that I can be consistent on some positive habits.

A guiding word is something that I strive to embody and incorporate daily. I've selected a guiding word since 2015. Previous words have been VIBRANT, ORGANIZE and COMPLETION. My word for 2018 was GROWTH. One of the highlights was marrying the love of my life! The focus on 2019 was PRESENT. I can't say that I totally nailed that one, but I became very aware of how hard it is to be fully present. We have so many daily distractions. It was very difficult at times to maintain awareness. Even though I was not 100% successful or well even 50%, I learned a lot from observing. My word for 2020 is SAVOR. {I'll be talking about that in future posts.}

I've some time this month thumbing through my journals, old blogs, calendars and other recording pieces where I've contemplated and planed. I enjoy doing this because it helps me recognize growth and positive changes in my thoughts, habits and actions. It also helps me root out stuck and hidden areas that are ripe for reformation and change.  Selecting a guiding work has definitely an enlightening and beneficial practice. It helps to align my intentions with my actions. I identify what is missing or weak, what aspect or trait I would like to have, and then I start brainstorming my action steps. There's a million ways to get to where we want to go. No one pathway is better or more efficient than another. It is the choice + action, basically just dive in and start.

I personally take a look at everything. I write all of my ideas, goals and desires down. Then I start looking into each of them more deeply and I ask which one is going to be the most beneficial for me? Which aspects will require the most time? What is going to be the best ROE (return on investment).  Next comes the act of breaking the project into steps to actualize what I am creating. This may be a trait, skill, experience or learning a new subject. The temptation of distraction is always there, so I've use planning and journaling to keep myself on track and accountable. I very rarely skip brushing my teeth in the am and pm, so planning/journaling are JUST as essential to me.

While I feel that I can be a sufficient multitasker, I do strive to focus on what I am doing in the moment. That said, I may have several action steps stacked together for maximum efficiency. I admit that when I walk on the treadmill I will also listen to a podcast, or when I'm driving an audiobook. I do A LOT of driving and I do pay attention but the road gets very long at times, so I like to listen and think about what I am hearing.

My personal growth has been and will be an on-going process. There are a multitude of aspects that I am working with and through. It hasn't happened quickly, rather it has been a continual, repeated process. I plan and then implement actions steps, evaluate and repeat, until the action becomes a solid habit. I then stack those positive habits and "just keep swimming!"

The other aspect I follow is my energy levels. Right now, I'm tired. I know my body is asking for rest, ease and slowness. We've just returned home from Pake's surgery to remove a tumor in his chest. It was successful! And now, I'm ready to tune in, nestle down and open into what's next. I really don't know. I have some ideas some wonderful inspirations, and an abundance of possibilities.

Have you selected a guiding word? If not, check out this fun WORD GENERATOR it's how I landed on mine. If you're so inclined, please share your 2020 word of the year and what it means to you, in the the comment section.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reframing

I do not love to mow the lawn. I enjoy the look of a freshly mowed space, but it is not an activity that I look forward to. Like laundry, dishes and cleaning it is a necessary chore. No one makes me mow the lawn and I could certainly choose to forgo the activity, but every time I'd look at the overgrowth, I would be frustrated. I can only put up with a dirty, cluttered floor or space for so long. Then I am ready to go to work. I used to fight against tasks I didn't enjoy. I've used procrastination as a tactic so avoid doing what needed to be done. I've also bitched, bawled, complained and been really grumpy because I felt I "had" to                                 {fill in the blank}. In the past I often experienced feeling burdened, put-upon, angry, frustrated and resentful {Why meeeeeeee?} Of course NONE of these helped me get the job done any faster, nor did feeling sorry for myself make the process more enjoyable. I'm not one to fake anyth

Quirky Talents, I think we all have 'em

Home for me has become wherever my backpack lands. Five years ago I started using travel as a way to heal, focus and begin a new path. Travel allowed me to get out of my head and into nature, where I am always able to think more clearly. I've always loved being on the go, seeing and experiencing new and favorite locations. One of the interesting traits, (and I'll even go so far as to call it a talent,) is that I have a propensity to create organization, flow and comfort in whatever spaces I occupy. Like hair color, and eye color, I was born with this, I didn't ask for it. {Just for the record, if I could ask for a talent I would have picked something totally different!) In fact, this talent is so very........well, easy, that I had completely dismissed it. It was just something that I did and it required very little effort or work on my part. I had to go way back in my experiences and thinking to remember when I first became aware of the tendency to put things in order.